About This Journal
About the Law Review
The Penn State Law Review is the flagship publication of Penn State Law. As a general-interest journal, the Penn State Law Review publishes in the broad range of legal scholarship and does not limit submissions by any specific topic. Generally, each issue includes several legal articles and comments. The articles are written by legal scholars and practitioners, and the comments are written by Penn State law students. Every year, as part of a stringent selection process, the journal evaluates a host of submissions. The Law Review publishes three print issues per year.
The Law Review also publishes articles and essays written by both scholars and students through its online companion, Penn Statim. Penn Statim is an online-only supplement to the Law Review’s print publications. In 2012, Washington & Lee ranked Penn Statim fourth overall compared to other online-only journals. The Law Review also organizes an annual symposium, a forum for scholars to discuss forthcoming or recently published articles. This year’s symposium will feature authors from across the globe discussing the intersection of advancing technology and the law. Previous symposia have featured discussions on big data, insurance and cyber security, mergers and acquistions, and many other diverse areas of legal scholarship.
History of the Journal
The Penn State Law Review was originally founded in 1897 as The Forum, the fifth oldest law review in continuous print in the United States. One year after its founding, in 1898, The Forum became the first known law review to staff a female law review editor, Julia Radle. In 1908, the law review was renamed the Dickinson Law Review, a name it maintained for nearly 100 issues. In 2003, following the merger of the Dickinson School of Law and the Pennsylvania State University, the journal name was changed to the Penn State Law Review. In 2016, the two Pennsylvania State University law schools (Penn State Law and Penn State Dickinson Law) became separately-accredited schools. Each school maintained separate law reviews. Penn State Law retained the Penn State Law Review, while Penn State Dickinson Law renamed its periodical to the Dickinson Law Review.
Indexed in Hein, Westlaw and Lexis.