Guidelines for General Submissions
JLIA welcomes submissions of articles, essays and book reviews that analyze emerging issues at the intersection of law and international affairs, and prescribe legal and policy solutions. The journal publishes at least two issues per year and invites submissions on a rolling basis.
How to Submit
Electronic submissions via Scholastica are preferred.
JLIA also will accept submissions via electronic mail to with the Editor-in-Chief or Managing Editor of Articles CC'd.
Submissions may also be made directly to JLIA (), the current Editor-in-Chief (), and the current Managing Editor of Articles ().
What to Submit
Prospective authors should submit:
1. a manuscript (in accord with the specifications below);
2. curriculum vitae or resume; and
3. separate cover sheet which includes a brief abstract and contact information (name, telephone number, e-mail address and mailing address).
Manuscripts should follow the specifications below.
- Microsoft Word or Word-compatible software program.
- There is no page limit for submissions for publication. However, please consider that a majority of articles published by JLIA range from 4,000 to 13,000 words.
- Footnotes, not endnotes.
- We encourage the submission of photographs and graphics to accompany your article. Please send proof of permission to use others' images.
- Text and citations should conform to The Bluebook: A Uniform System of Citation (19th ed. 2010) or the style convention commonly used in the discipline.
Authors will receive acknowledgement of their submissions by email from JLIA's Editor-in-Chief or Managing Editor of Articles. For unsolicited manuscripts, JLIA will conduct an initial review to assess the article's relevance for its readership. Manuscripts that pass the initial review are forwarded to two (anonymous) peer reviewers. Authors may expect to receive the results of the peer review from the managing editor within four weeks following the initial review.
If you would like to request an expedited review of your article, please send an email request with your name, your article title, your deadline, and your contact information to or . The journal will attempt to review each request, but cannot guarantee review in the time provided.
Inquiries and questions may be directed to Editor-in-Chief Emilia Janisch at or Managing Editor of Articles Jamie Jones at